Satelit
Tampilkan pada peta
  • Hari 14

    Marrakech at Night

    27 Februari, Maroko ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Mohamed still had more in store for us on our Marrakech cooking class day. The plan was to see how the market square transforms after dark, by visiting before and after dinner at a nearby restaurant. Before dark, “snake charmers” (yes, real cobra snakes), and guys with small apes (like we saw on our little hike in the cedar forest) pose for photos—for a price. We decided not to find out the price. The snake charmers aren’t allowed in the square after dark because one got away and caused a panic in the square. There were also some “ring the bottle” games set up for families to vie for a prize.

    Our nearby restaurant served a wonderful selection of cold plates like spiced eggplant, mild green chilies and onions, carrots with parsley, etc. and warm bread, phyllo-wrapped tasty bites, and beef and chicken skewers. Musicians accompanied much of dinner, making table conversation a little difficult, but they were enthusiastic and colorful.

    Leaving the restaurant after dark, we could see how the square had really come alive—music groups were set up, ringed by locals on stools clapping and enjoying the music; the food stalls were in full swing, and street hawkers exhibited their light-up toys.

    Capping off the day was a ride back to our hotel in a horse carriage. These carriages used to be a typical mode of transportation in Marrakech, but now they are mainly for tourists.
    Baca selengkapnya