Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 96

    Yogyakarta -> Malang -> Lumajang

    February 18, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    00:30 a.m. - The train departure to Malang. It was my first night train and I booked business class to get at least a bit sleep. In the end it didn’t changed anything the night was horrible. Uncomfortable seat and the worst was the light all night. They didn’t switched it off.

    6:30 a.m. - We arrived in Malang an searched a place to drop of our bags for the morning because Laura recommended us to go to Lumajang and stay there. We ended up dropping our bags at the Mador hostel. We use their hole facilities and didn’t even stayed there.

    8:15 a.m. - We went to the only highlight in Malang the rainbow village. The government decided to paint a hole slum village colorful so it gets an attraction and the entrance fee is for the people how life there. It’s amazing to walk through very beautiful and the people there are very friendly and nice. Furthermore it was my first time seeing a cock fight. I don’t understand what people like about that. Afterwards we went to the blue village right across the street which was my absolute favorite. It’s similar to to the on in Morocco and absolutely gorgeous. We got some nice shots there for locals and Brian went for a crazy shot on a pipe over the river and I had to flight the drone for the first time after I learned the basics in Borneo.

    11 a.m. - Afterwards we went for lunch and got ready for the local bus to Lumajang.

    1 p.m. - If Laura wouldn’t have told us about the local bus station and the bus you would never find it. However we arrived there and had a good timing we just had to wait 15min until the bus left. It was really a local experience. We were literally the only foreigners in the bus and everyone was starring at us but they were really friendly and the hole bus drive was a lot of fun. It was even allowed to smoke in the bus. The bus took ages because he stopped a lot and drove very slow but we saw a lot of the nature there.

    4 p.m. - We showed the driver where our homestay was and the dropped us off almost right in front. The first thing that in recognized when we arrived is that the neighbor’s of our homestay have a monkey as a pet. We wanted to use our time as efficient as possible and lend a really shit scooter from our homestay to drive to one of a lot of gorgeous waterfalls around the area. The Kapas Biru waterfall. We underestimated the hike to the waterfall. It was longer that expected and very steep especially at the beginning. However the waterfall is breathtaking and except of some local kids how camped there we were the only ones. We wanted to see a nice sunset so we walked very fast back and it was hard especially because if the humidity. Unfortunately it was cloudy and we didn’t found a nice spot to see the sunset and somehow we endet up in a random village really close to the still active volcano Semeru.

    7 p.m. - Afterwards we got dinner and went back to the hostel where we met Susan and Oleta they stayed also at Laura’s place and did the same as we did. So we decided to continue together. Furthermore we met the owner Ariez and he invited us to show us around the day after.
    Read more