Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Natural springs

    June 17, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    Hi, here's some news! We've started our second week working in the vineyards at Waipara Hills. The work is a bit tiring, but we're gradually getting used to it. Our team is growing, with a French couple starting work with us yesterday. There's also a Japanese guy, and a lot of Indians.
    We work from Tuesday to Saturday, and we have Sundays and Mondays off. On Sunday, we took the opportunity to reorganise Bongo and do a bit of shopping. We needed warm socks and waterproof boots. We were sick of working with cold, wet feet!
    On Monday, we went to Hanmer Springs, a small village about an hour's drive away surrounded by mountains. This village is the main spa on the South Island, and we were able to experience the natural hot springs, with temperatures of up to 42 degrees! Maori legend has it that these hot springs are the result of embers from Mount Ngauruhoe on the North Island falling from the sky. It was incredible to bathe outside in the middle of winter, with a view of the snow-capped mountains.
    Here at the campsite it is very dark and you can see the night sky very well. When you look up into the sky you see so many stars, even the Milky Way, you feel so small in that moment. Tonight our campsite owner made a campfire with marshmallows and sausages, we chatted with the other people here and had loads of fun!
    Read more