Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Akaroa/At the winefields

    June 8, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 7 °C

    Deutsche Version in den Kommentaren
    Version française en commentaire

    On Saturday we got the news that we could work in the vineyards. What is the work like, you ask? We'll tell you in a minute, but first we have to rewind a bit: Lucas and I were in Akaora when we got the job offer, a town on the. The peninsula was formed about eight million years ago by two huge volcanic eruptions. Towards Akaroa we drove a very beautiful stretch along the Summit Road around the rim of one of the original craters. Harbours and bays extend radially from the centre of the peninsula, giving it an unusual cogwheel shape. The waters around the Banks Peninsula are home to the smallest and one of the rarest dolphin species, the Hector's dolphin, which is only found in New Zealand waters. Unfortunately we didn't see them as we didn't have much time, maybe we'll come back again. Lucas felt at home as Akaroa (Long Harbour) was the site of the first French settlement in the country and descendants of the original French pioneers still live here. It is a charming town that tries to recreate the atmosphere of a provincial French village, right down to the names of its streets and houses. We had a nice morning here and did a little hike at Hinewai Reserve before heading back to Christchurch. There we did some errands for our work and the next day we went to the campsite at our place of work. Now it was Monday and tomorrow is our first day at work in Waipara. We just met the people at the campsite and they asked us if we wanted to go wine tasing. Of course! So we tasted twelve different wines and quickly fell into bed afterwards.

    The first day of work; we got an introduction to the work process and started to work independently. We work in large vineyards and have to prune the vines and tie two branches to the fence, about 200 times a day. It's not so bad though, I often think of my old office job and how time just didn't pass. Now I listen to a podcast (podcast recommendations are welcome), do a bit of pruning and it's almost break time already. We work in the fresh air and have beautiful nature around us, it's so nice! Sure, it's freezing in the morning and you'd rather be in a warm bed, but when the sun comes out and the winegrowers' dog comes to visit, that's forgotten immediately...
    Read more