Satellite
Show on map
  • PREPARATION STEP 2: HOW FAR CAN I DRIVE?

    February 28, 2023 in Italy ⋅ 🌬 9 °C

    How far can you drive your electric vehicle?
    Well, of course it depends on the size of your battery and how you drive - fast, freeway, or slow, country roads.

    Normally we only drive motorways (at 110 km/h) when we want to reach a certain long-distance area without photo spots in between. But as soon as we are in a region, we try to avoid motorways.
    On the motorway we charge every 1.5 hours, which is a nice stop interval. The Fiat 500e has a battery of 42kW. If you found a fast charger (50 kW or more), it only takes the time it takes to "powder your nose" and maybe grab a cuppa. Let's say 20 minutes.

    Some recommendation:

    Never reach a charging stop with less than 20% battery power in case the charging station is not working. With 20% you can reach easily the next one.

    And unless you're staying somewhere and time isn't a factor - don't charge more than 80-85%. Waste of time, because even the fast charging stations slow down the charging process at this point to protect the battery.
    From 0% - 80% it takes just as long as from 80% to 100% to charge your battery, but it drains just as quickly.

    In other words – try to stop charging when your battery is somewhere between 20% and 30% and charge it to 80% – 85%. With this interval you are on the safe side and have the most efficient time management.

    Yes, you will not be the fastest at the finish line. BUT - you arrive totally relaxed and don't need a break from driving after your arrival. This saves me personally time in the end, because even after a trip from Italy to Germany I can go directly to the photo spot and get started with my work and don't need a break. EV travel is really nice once you get used to the slower pace.

    No FindPenguins account but want to comment:
    Read the blog of Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/evtravellers
    Read more