Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Dive, Dive, Dive

    August 14, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    The first part of the PADI Scuba Diver certificate is in the swimming pool. So after a hearty breakfast we set up our Scuba gear, donned the wet suits and in we went. All good trading for our excursion to the bottom of the sea bed later in the morning.

    Various exercises included all the safety checks and then underwater filling your mask full of water and then using air to evacuate the water, getting your trim correct with the right amount of air, taking you respirator out and throwing it over your shoulder then recovering it and putting it back in your mouth whilst trying not to inhale water and coming to a premature death.

    At least in the pool one can stand up if in trouble, but under 11m of water things are a bit different...that was for later.

    We headed off on the dive boat to our dive site about 10 minutes away. We checked our gear and flipped backwards into the sea. Our instructor Roman then descended with us onto the bottom of the sea bed and we repeated our training exercises of throwing away our respirators and then recovering it and reinserting it into our mouths, purging the sea water and happily breathing again.

    Off we then popped for a glide around the reef which involved coming al out face to face with a massive moray eel...yikes!...40 minutes later we surfaced for the boat to collect us.

    This my third dive and Eva's first. It really is something special and a whole new experience. She loved it.

    Tomorrow would be a bigger training challenge.
    Read more