Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Arriving In Kuala Lumpur. What a View!

    January 14 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 33 °C

    Our stay in Singapore has come to an end. We call a Grab at 5:30 and are at the airport by 6:00. Immigration is quick and easy and then we head for the food court to find something for breakfast. I find a place that does chicken rice and chicken hor fun, then change our remaining Singapore dollars to Malaysian Ringgit.

    The flight is really short and by 10:00am we are in Kuala Lumpur. Due to the fact I broke my phone we have set Richard up with all the apps we will need to get into Malaysia and to our accomodation. Our first challenge is the entry card that is needed to get into the country. I can't use my phone and am struggling with the airport wifi while queuing for immigration. Fortunately it is attached electronically to my passport in the system so that's one issue sorted. the second potential issue is onward travel. We are aware we could be asked for proof of onward travel but haven't booked anything as we wanted to remain flexible. It is possible to buy a confirmed reservation for $US16 each but we have decided to take a chance with the intention of booking on the spot if required. Fortunately we didn't need to as we both failed to successfully connect to wifi so that could have been interesting.

    Before we find our way into the city we want to ask about buses to Malacca so we head downstairs to the "Transportation Hub". We learn that the same counter that will sell us tickets into the city today will also be where we come back to on Wednesday. The bus is fantastic with huge plush recliner seats. The trip into the city is about an hour. It turns out that the bus station is a short walk from our accommodation, if we can follow simple directions on Google maps. It turns out we can't and we take a really, really long way around.

    We can't check in until 3:00 but we can drop off our bags and then go grab some lunch. Once we have checked in freshened up we head up to the 37th floor to check out the infinity pool. Wow! Wow! The pool faces north and the view is dominated by the Menara KL Tower with the Petronas Towers a little further away.

    Dinner tonight was just a sandwich in the room.
    Read more