Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Attending to Repairs

    January 15 in Malaysia ⋅ 🌧 32 °C

    We are up fairly early and out the door for breakfast. Just around the corner from us (once you know, rather than walking around the world...) is an eatery we saw on our way here yesterday. It is located next door to a small Hindu temple, the Court Hill Sri Ganesar Temple. Today is the first day of Pongal, a multi-day Hindu harvest festival celebrated by Tamils held after the winter solstice. There is also a rice dish that is served made from rice boiled in milk with jaggery. We watch some of the proceedings in the temple then head to the cafe for a buffet breakfast. With tea, breakfast comes to about $4 each.

    After breakfast we order a Grab to get the phone repaired. I have located a number of phone repair shops in a plaza in Bukit Bintang called Plaza Low Yat, a multi story centre dedicated to tech. The first place we go to is an authorised Apple repairer. The screen is out of stock and will take at least a week to come in. We ask if they have a store in Malacca and the cost of the repair and almost fall on the floor when told it will be 1550RM or roughly $500! I leave the shop prepared to go in search of a store that sells refurbished phones when we are approached by a guy from another store who beckons us to follow him. 250 RM to repair. I am certain this will not be an authorised Apple part but if we can get the phone working I'm fine, if a little nervous, with that.

    We go off to have coffee while we wait and end up in a place in the lower ground of the plaza called Kopi Klub. The iced coffee here is great and I'm starting to feel confident about the direction the day will take. We collect the phone, order a Grab and return to the apartment. Time to pay that glorious pool another visit.

    We have the remaining sandwich and tub of yogurt for lunch then spend the afternoon resting our feet before we head out again this evening.

    The lead photo is of a tree that was near the temple. I have no idea what it was.
    Read more