Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Sabroso!

    February 4 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 32 °C

    First up this morning is a virtual meetup with Matthew, a fellow YouTuber and former Heygo guide based in Hong Kong. It was fun to get our combined community together and share our adventures and plans. I think our viewers enjoyed it. I did.

    We had plans to head in to Jonker Street for the night food markets tonight so knowing we would be eating later than usual we opted for the buffet lunch to see us through. When 7:00 came we debated the plan and weighed up the pros and cons. The cons included big crowds (we’re not fans), and closed roads meaning traffic congestion. And we have been in once before.

    So we opted for dinner at the Portuguese Settlement instead. We’d been planning to return but were going to make it our last night before shifting apartments. No big deal. To avoid the touters to the best of our ability we skirted around the perimeter of the car park and walked along the waterfront to the Jetty Bar first. Mostly successful.

    A pleasant drink watching the sky at sunset and then to the serious business of choosing somewhere to eat. We had read about the fresh shellfish stand so go over to investigate. Alongside the most enormous oysters I have ever seen were some unusual looking shells which we were told are a kind of scallop.

    We order six medium sized oysters fresh with just one of the gigantic scallops to give it a try. The oysters were beautiful. The scallops I wouldn’t rush back for.

    Still feeling hungry we decide to return to the place we went to the last time we came. The beer is cheap, the food is good and no harassment to get you through the door. While I was making a comfort call Richard got chatting with a guy at the next table. It turned out that every person in the place apart from us was friends or family of the owner, Kenny. By the end of the meal we had all their names, a group shot and a recommendation to return on Sunday for "Intrude", a festival where apparently everyone douses each other with water before the beginning of Lent. Thanks to Andy, Oswan, Karen, Leanne, Veronica and Catherine, and of course Kenny.

    Oh, and Sabroso? Means "tasty".
    Read more