Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Buenos Aires

    May 6, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Today we had a sleep in after a big night at the Tango experience.
    We had a late breakfast in the hostel then went for a walk with some of the group to see the Obelisk; the large spire at the centre of Buenos Aires.
    We then joined a few more of the group to walk to the main square and walk around and we then visited the awesome San Telmo market. This was quite different to other local markets we had visited - it is filled with lots of cool trendy restaurants and cafés (with a lot of meat cooking on display!) There were also a lot of vendors selling dulce de leche (caramel sauce) which is very popular here! We ate late lunch at a restaurant at the markets - an Osobuco pasta - absolutely delicious!
    We then went back to the hostel, picked up our laundry and chilled out for a bit. From balconies from our rooms, we also witnessed a huge parade/demonstration through the streets with flags, screaming and chanting calling for changes to the country's marijuana laws (the smell was very strong!) At 6pm, we had our welcome meeting with our new guide, Flor, as well as the last few members of our group who would be coming through to Rio with us (the last leg of the tour!) We met the new couple from the UK, a guy from Germany and a guy from Switzerland.
    We went out for dinner as a group and had an awesome steak and red wine dinner (third in a row!) before calling family and friends back at the hostel for a few hours! It was lovely connecting with Maureen, Martin, Joel (to wish him a happy early birthday), Annarita, Francesca, Nicky and Alex over video (it has been a bit difficult to keep in touch with the large time difference!)
    Read more