Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Buenos Aires

    May 7, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We enjoyed another chilled out morning before Daniel and Gab had a yummy breakfast out at a cafe near the centre of Buenos Aires.

    Some of the group then got in Ubers to the La Boca area of Buenos Aires which is the southern most point of the metropolitan area.
    Here we went on a tour of the La Boca area, famous for the soccer club Boca Juniors where many famous Argentine soccer players have come from and for its street art. Today was an extra special day because Boca were playing crosstown rivals River Plate away (and near impossible to get tickets!) and so the tour would conclude with us watching the match at a local pub.

    Joy, our local tour guide, took us around Boca where we saw the street and murals as well as the Boca home ground. One of the murals which we saw was for the Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo who were a group of people who formed in protest against the military dictatorship in the 1970s which resulted in mass human rights abuses including the disappearance of thousands of children who were taken away from their mothers.

    Joy told us where was safe to walk around in La Boca (a "safety triangle" of around 3 blocks). We had some free time where we tried the local choripan (chorizo sandwich) - yum! We also bought a (kids) La Boca shirt which was the equivalent of around $10 - Gab wore it for the rest of the day! We also walked around and saw the awesome colourful main streets. The colourful houses are thanks to Benito Quinquela Martín who was a very famous artist who grew up in the area and his paints from his workshop were used by local people to paint their houses!

    We then boarded a local bus to the pub where we had some drinks before watching the game. The atmosphere at the pub was awesome (lots of singing and dancing throughout the game, and even a trumpet player!) Unfortunately La Boca lost 1-0 with a last minute penalty (and 4 red cards in the last 10 minutes!)

    We then went to a bar after the match for some more drinks and food before going to a night club in Palermo (the Northern part of Buenos Aires). At the club, they started with RNB music and then a live band played for a bit. We got an uber home and got to bed around 2am.
    Read more