Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 89

    Trolltunga Hike

    14 juni 2023, Norge ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the hotel before setting off on our 2 day hike to Trolltunga! It is about 10km each way - we opted to do it across the 2 days so we could really enjoy the scenery and the experience.

    We got a 20 min shuttle bus to the main carpark where we met our tour group for our 2 day trip with a company called Trolltunga Adventures. There was about 13 on the tour including a few Swedish guys, a few Dutch people, German people and a couple from Singapore. Our tour guides introduced themselves and drove us up to the top carpark, gave us a quick safety briefing and then we were off walking.

    The initial section was very steep but we took in some incredible views as we hiked to the highest point of the walk, approx 1500m above sea level. What made the walk so spectacular was that the snow was starting to melt and so some sections were still covered in snow but it was still quite warm and sunny! It was very bright so good thing we had our sunnies! The guides told us that the weather is rarely this good on the hikes and it often rains!!

    We made it to our lunch spot for a stunning view over the fjord and enjoyed a yummy sandwich. We also were sitting right next to a waterfall which was incredible. Probably one of the best views we had ever had for a sandwich!

    We then continued on for a few more kms before continuing on to the main attraction - Trolltunga (which quite literally translates to "Troll’s tongue")! We ventured out onto the rock for an incredible view over the canyon, and a quick photo of course!

    The rock formation is pretty spectacular and quite unusual. The Norweigan people love stories about trolls and mythical creatures and the story about Trolltunga is no different! In mythology, trolls die in the sunlight. This troll in the mountain thought that he could survive the sunlight so he stood at the end of the mountain and waited for the sun. Just as the sun started to rise, he stuck his tounge out to mock the sun as he was so surprised and happy that he was still alive. However, not long after this, he froze and died from the sun so his tounge has been sticking out ever since!! The actual story is that about 10,000 years ago, this part was a glacier which had cracked to form the unusual rock formation we see today. The Troll story is better though!

    We then continued walking to camp (all through the snow) where we were able to chill out and enjoy the most incredible views from the campsite over the Fjord and the mountains. We enjoyed a delicious dinner of reindeer stew with rice and jam - a popular dish amongst northern Norwegian indigenous farmers. It was so delicious (and just what we needed after a day of hiking)!!

    After more relaxing, a group of us decided to go for a ‘sunset’ (the sun sets at approx 10.30pm!) walk up to another rock formation called Pulpitt Rock for some more incredible views and photos! This rock has an incredible view (like Trolltunga) but it is narrower when you stand on it so you have to be careful. We were so lucky because the clouds cleared and we saw an amazing sun set over the mountains which was phenomenal. We spent around an hour at the lookout point at Pulpit Rock watching the sunset and reflecting on how incredible it is that we are on this trip and making such phenomenal memories in the most amazing places. Very grateful indeed!

    After sunset, we made our way back to camp by running and rolling down the steep snow hills with lots of laughs (Gab only fell over a couple of times!) We made our way back to camp for hot chocolate (with whipped cream) and biscuits before going to bed. Our tent was very comfortable (fitted with great sleeping bags, mats and inflatable pillows- camping luxury!) We didn't want to zip the tent up and say good bye to the view for the night!!
    Läs mer