Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Camino, day 457

    September 19, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ 🌙 72 °F

    Don’t freak out. I know it’s really only day 2. But what a day! We walked awhile, then walked some more. To keep things exciting, we kept right on walking until we couldn’t walk any farther. But we did walk farther. I hate to brag but you’re probably going to see us on the cover of Walker’s World soon. And you know what? We’re thinking about going for another walk tomorrow. We’re that good.

    And the laundry! You thought your mom was good at laundry? Think again. (Unless your name is Henry, Steven, or Andy, in which case you’ve probably already figured out that we *are* your moms which makes this particular paragraph rather reflexive, grammatically speaking. Just ignore it.)

    Anyhoo, today we walked from Rates to Barcelos. If you look at a map it probably looks like they’re very close together but they’re not. This section was a good mix of dirt paths and cobblestone roads. Very scenic. Vineyards, corn fields, and woods between cute little towns.

    Today was a bit cooler than yesterday, maybe 80-85°. We even had about 5 minutes of light rain, lasting just long enough for us to deploy our rain gear before it stopped.

    We somehow missed lunch today which was probably a mistake. Personally, I can go for days without eating but Ellen was such a baby about it I had to promise to let her eat again tomorrow to get her to stop crying.

    We walked with a group of 5 Americans for a bit early in the day. They caught up to us again just as we crossed the Cavado river entering Barcelos. Saw one of our german friends from dinner last night as we were having dinner (again!) tonight. Many more people of various nationalities zipped past us on the Camino today, a nice change from yesterday. Sounds like lodging options are a bit scarce so I’m glad we booked ahead.

    It’s 8:15. Time for bed. Night y’all.
    Read more