Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Dinner in Durban

    May 21, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    The hotel we are in is like a Premier Inn. It’s right next to a shopping centre so we dumped our stuff and went to explore. We found a couple of options for dinner later without having to go back into Durban. Back in the room, we had very welcome showers and did some photo editing before our 6pm meeting for the next leg of the trip.

    We met in the hotel restaurant. Our new group member is Timo. He seems very quiet. This is his first time in Africa and his first time overlanding. He booked the trip simply because it fitted in with the dates he had available to travel! René seemed a bit on edge during the meeting. I’ve no idea why. She didn’t have much to say about the forthcoming trip – I guess we’ll just wait and see what happens!

    After the meeting, Kurt joined us (he's staying on in Durban for a couple of days), and we went across to the mall for dinner. We went to a curry house so that we could try the local dish, bunny chow. This is normally a street food. A white loaf is hollowed out and filled with bean, chicken, or lamb curry. You can order a quarter or a half loaf. Mark and I ordered a quarter. Kurt ordered a half. René said she had never seen such a huge bunny chow! The curries were very good, but I would have preferred mine with rice. I think bunny chow will be a one-off!!

    Back at the hotel, we said our goodbyes to Kurt and went to bed.
    Read more