Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Lion drama!

    August 24, 2023 in Tanzania ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Mankinga got word that there were a lot of lions coming to drink at a stream, so we went to have a look. Our other 4x4 was nowhere to be seen! There were three lionesses and nine or ten cubs approaching the water. Then, a lone warthog came across the field towards them. Immediately, the three adult females were ready to hunt! They formed a huge triangle around the poor pumba! They were clearly co-operating and trying to close in on their prey. It was fascinating and thrilling to watch events unfold!

    Their first attempt failed, and they gave it up. They may have had another go. Certainly, all the other vehicles were waiting and watching. We wanted to do the same, but Nash instructed Mankinga to ‘stick to the timetable’ and proceed to the pick-up point to collect Kim and Siroj from their balloon ride, despite the fact that neither of them were in our vehicle! To say we were disappointed was an understatement, especially as Nash had told us last night that if we were seeing interesting stuff, we could stay out! When we arrived at the pick-up point before Nash, our disappointment turned to anger!! We might just have missed out on witnessing our first kill!

    We bought drinks. Nobody said anything to Nash when he turned up! We got back in our 4x4s to return to camp for brunch.
    Read more