Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 206

    Belgrade

    October 26, 2017 in Serbia ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    Left at 11 and headed to a shopping center Em selected for us to meet at.
    It was a hassle to get too. 3km over the bridge, across tram lines and through a tunnel because you couldn't cross the highway.
    Found her :)
    Her mum was there too and she shouted us lunch in the food court 😀 such a lovely lady.

    She then left and the 3 of us got on our way and headed to the museum of Yugoslavia. But first, we had fun on a tram! Thank heavens Em can speak Serbian (can completely understand + communicate but isn't fluent) because she was able to ask for help on how to activate our ticket. They have like a hard copy card thing like an opal card so she paid for all 3 fares to save us having to buy a card.
    It took us half way before it then went the wrong way... hahah
    We jumped off as soon as we could at walked the rest - another 3km.
    The museum had shocking signage and if she hadn't had her map loaded I would have walked straight past.
    Nice fountain out front.
    She paid our entry fee for this too - $4 each and we then went up the stairs to the exhibit.
    So essentially the museum is terrible however - despite its crap layout, waste of space and just general boringness - surprisingly, I did learn something.
    It was nothing about Yugoslavia itself but its leader, Tito.
    He was leader of the communist party which me and Em couldn't wrap our head around because we automatically associate communism with bad but everyone really seems to like him.
    He did a lot lot lot of work with Africa. The museum didn't mention anything other than his connection and trips to Africa and how he had offered scholarships to African children to come to Yugoslavia.
    They had one good blurb thing reminding of the significance of his attitude towards the Africans because it was at a time that there were still colour segregation in many countries and how advanced his attitude was.
    There was a short video about the scholarship program.
    Unfortunately it would seem once Yugoslavia was lost, so were the connections.

    Tito is responsible for the non aligned movement.
    Countries that do not want to be with or against any major superpower countries.

    We then left and walked around abit until we found "the glass house"
    Tito is buried inside. His grave wasn't all that fancy but a nice spot. Sunny lol
    Inside were presents he was given from other major heads such as JFK and Queen Elizabeth 2 WHO GAVE HIM A SIGNED PHOTO OF HERSELF HHAHAHAHAHH WHAT A RIDICULOUS PRESENT 😂😂😂😂
    When he died he was transported in the blue train - it stopped in at many stations for people to pay respects. A model of the train was there.
    He was also involved in the relay of youth which took place across Yugoslavia. Every year people put Battons on his grave - heaps on display and some were awesome!!

    He was a really popular man. There was a picture showing which countries had someone attend the funeral - all of maybe 10 didn't. That's it.
    How Very impressive.

    We then went walking to what is apparently the 2nd biggest church in the world and started being built is 1935 but is still not done. Not even close.
    The outside is great but the inside is completely empty and just scaffolding. The crypt is done though and truly beautiful!!! No one is buried there though.. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

    We bought some plum rakia for us to send home. $12 for a litre of spirits isn't bad. Bought from the street so hopefully we don't go blind.. 😅

    We went back to our burrito shop to show Emily and then said our goodbyes:(
    I had a great day - so good seeing her!!
    We went home, I packed and shower, watched Big Bang and finally replied to everyone I have been meaning to.

    Oh forgot to mention - as we entered the museum - barely entered the room and Emily touched a display and broke it. I LAUGHED SO LOUDLY which alerted the guard. She put it back and we walked on.
    Nothing with any significance luckily!! Hahah
    Read more