Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Transit

    October 31, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Slept In until about 11:30. Had check out at 12. It was such a good sleep.😭😭
    We dropped our bags off at the hotel bag holding place and went walking towards grand central station. We went the long way because we both just couldn’t do time square again haha.
    It’s not so much the amount of people but trying to avoid the scams and the annoying pestering people.
    Found the station. Very grand, looks like Gringotts. Inside recognizable from movies. I suppose The ceiling and walls were not as detailed as I was expecting but still lovely especially for a train station. Chandeliers were niiiice.
    Walked around for ages trying to find food. Will wanted to do a lot from his food list we got from his friend like delis and stuff which we just haven’t had an opportunity to do because we have been stuck with everyone. But most were in Brooklyn so we have had to skip this time. NY Traffic is so unpredictable, not risking not getting back in time.
    Still walk walk walk with no food to be found.
    Eventually found a Starbucks and stole their Wi-Fi while I was lining up for a drink for Will cause he was really thirsty - service is so poor in this country. Waited waited. Only person in line.. Had time to research one of the places Will friend said which was shake shack - so walked away and went there instead.
    Astonishing really.

    Shake shack was pricey considering the size of the food. Small even for Australian portions. Must outrage the Americans 😆
    This country is cooked. Dude just with his kid smoking a joint at the table (outside table)
    Then a couple of workers came outside to have a hit 😆😆😆😭😭😭 WHAAT. You are literally at work on shift. Bruh. What is this.
    Walked past a legal weed van “hey you guys wanna get high”

    Went to get a magnet found one BUT THEN

    we found an NYPD dog jacket which was not in budget but somehow made its way into our shopping bag 👀👀👀

    Returned to hotel and sat behind reception (
    only place we have stayed in America with seating in hotel - not big on it ANYWHERE 🙃)
    Eventually joined by Helen and Tom then got our taxi. Took over an hour, nearly an hour and a half - Felt bad for taxi guy really. Airport is a set price so only $65 but he wasted a lot of his time on one trip! He did watch videos the whole way though 😆
    Check in was tedious.
    And electronic which I hate. I want to talk to someone. Name still not matching passport but had to scan passport and it was accepted so 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I put the wrong day in for both of us for when we are apparently leaving Belgium. Ah well lol.

    TSA was a joke “the line from here will take 55 mins”
    And it did.

    Tom and Helen were flying premium economy so got whizzed through. Met them at the bar on the other side. Wi-Fi was sketchy so very lucky got their message about where to find them.
    We sat at the bar for about an hour together. They bought us drinks as a wedding present. I got a cocktail and I really didn’t like but finished it cause it was $20USD.
    She offered a glass of wine but a glass was the same price so I went cocktail. I said coke but she either forgot or ignored and got me the cocktail.
    The bar tender was probs the worse service I’ve recieved for the entire country. Big call I know.
    Took 3 attempts to finish an order
    “Could I have 2 beers” then he walks off - doesn’t acknowledge that he has heard you mind you, then doesn’t return for 10 minutes
    “And a cocktail”
    Leaves again to not return
    “AND a glass of wine” fuck me.

    said our byes 😭 we have been invited to see them at Christmas. Helen is going to do the research to see if that’s plausible. They are an hour above Manchester so not overly convenient.
    Flight was boarding so we couldn’t eat 😬a machine took our picture and we walked on the plane.
    Flight was 10 minutes late to depart because some people didn’t turn up for the flight so they had to remove their bags.
    As our tickets weren’t scanned to get on the plane….. we are hoping it’s not our stuff 😆
    Either way it’s there fuck up so in theory they will need to fix the problem, not us.
    I wouldn’t trust a machine to match me to my passport photo alone when I didn’t actually look at the camera I just walked through.
    We shall seeeee.

    Dinner is not crash hot. Small and ingredients I don’t eat like cooked spinach (maybe it’s Kale? tastes weird) , lentils and olives. I’m rather hungry.

    Currently the entire planes screens are fucking up so no one has entertainment lol

    Technically tomorrow but still awake so still today.

    Not impressed with Delta. Our domestic with JetBlue was significantly better. We did get the extra leg room I paid a bazillion dollars for but the seats where still tiny. And the food was crap.
    Didn’t crash though so can’t fault it in the main thing.
    Read more