Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Day 44 - Koh Phi Phi

    March 23, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    After something that definitely was not a Croque Monsieur (erm, chicken?!) we caught the boat to Koh Phi Phi from Phuket. A fairly uneventful 2 hour trip though again with seats designed for narrower people. I've felt many times on this trip that I could improve the way businesses run and today's situation was unloading the bag from the boat. No one knew if you retrieved your own bag or waited for it to be chucked on the pier so a couple of hundred people were just milling around trying to go through the bags whilst staff were trying to chuck them off but no one had any space to do either activity. We got ours in the end and headed to try and find our guesthouse via a bar with wifi.

    Koh Phi Phi is a beautiful island which over the years has become a full on party island. There's a lot of debate about if the island is now ruined and if the government should do more to rein it in but since I was last here 6 years it actually seems a bit quieter. Where we're staying is certainly the tourist focused bit with bar after bar down the narrow streets. There's no vehicles here so that makes walking around easier though. It's again very hot though and it's tempting to stay inside in the air con. Our guesthouse is not far from the pier luckily so not too far to shift the bags and it's also full of cats so I'm happy. We managed to tear ourselves out and found an amazing grilled cheese sandwich that made up for the breakfast then we walked to the beach and spent a short amount of time there.

    Unfortunately Matt isn't very well so other than going out for a really delicious dinner (well mine was, I think all food to Matt is currently a struggle), we spent the rest of the evening in the guesthouse. It's nothing seemingly too serious, just a stomach ache, but it's not nice for him. Hopefully he'll feel better tomorrow and we can go and explore more of the island.
    Read more