Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Gijon. Spain

    September 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 66 °F

    Still in Cider Country. This morning we left At 6:30am to beat the heat. That meant, no breakfast. We had bread, ham nuts, banana, water, chocolate, more water packed. Because, of course this was a 30 km day. And of course, yet again, we have no places to stop. . Last time as you may recall, we arrived after 30km, aching everywhere as we hadn’t stopped and hadn’t had enough water or food.
    This time, we were focused and did arrive in good shape after 8 hours for 30km. We decided to set timers for water, at first. Later got timers set up for food! After crossing one pass, then a second smaller pass we were beginning to feeling it.
    We stopped. Shoes off, one pair of socks and half of the toed socks and just rested on a shady lawn along the road. We were only 6-7 miles away from our place we were staying but the cities can be confusing.
    We have learned that means 45 minutes of walking especially, when you are dragging. You just want to get there. Shower, wash clothes and after a glass of wine and a snack. Just decompress!
    We had a few snags tonight. Nice hotel ($46,34:/each… Spain is so fun with prices!).
    But the closest laundry was about a mile way. This is after waliking two 30km this week. The HECK with walking a another mile!! We decided to hand wash and dry our clothes on our balcony.😳😃
    Only to find (when asking about a dryer after we had hand our washed,our laundry…. Hanging laundry is definitely NOT allowed at this nice hotel. . Oops! Sorry!
    But we are so bad …. So sorry however, my undies, socks, bra, pants etc are hanging from this very nice hotel on the Plaza Mayor. Hahaha ( Joanne, you can’t take me anywhere . 😂)
    Back to the day: Today was to be a walk in the park with a ‘bit of a climb.
    We started out in the dark with street lights lighting our way, then the city ran out. Before the sun came out we were using my cell phone for lighting, We almost tripped over a dead black cat, does that count? We didn’t cross it’s path…
    We climbed some good climbs today. Walked in rain, sweated in sun, on hills. We were thankful for dappled shaded, cool breezes.. any breezes and any shade!
    We walked roads, dirt trails, mud and rock trails, grassy fields and then did it over again. Thankful for the warmth of sun in the morning, Thankfull for finding the SHELLS and ARROWS as we leave a city in the morning as they are not well marked.
    I have input photos of the terrain. The nasty parts I can’t photograph as I am focused on not falling on my face or my rump.
    We did of course, drum roll please, come upon the beach AGAIN! Big surprise, I know.
    We climbed what they call a Mountain pass and walked beaches. I will never get tired of the beaches. No apologizes for the unending beach photos!
    Oh, my new favorite thing: Horrarios! They are antiquated, refreshed, and finally I saw a live in types!! I want one!!
    We are in Celtic cider country, check out the barrels! We had a great dinner! Photo of course.
    I am so tired… There is a photo of the church on the water. For the fishermen.
    Good night
    Read more