Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    St. Regis, Maldives: Property

    February 19, 2022 on the Maldives ⋅ ⛅ 84 °F

    Magical is a word that comes to mind when attempting describe the beauty of the island. I’m sure most of the Maldivian islands with resorts are respectable luxury destinations, but this one stands out as the “finest address” in the Maldives. At least that’s the slogan.

    Just over 40 mins by air to the south of the capital Malè; Vommuli island is on a westward atol, with coral reefs surrounding the white sand beaches. Our villa was built over the shallows and has (upgraded) sunset views.

    The villas themselves have a very Fire Island vibe in the exterior architecture; with the grayed wooden slats, decks and Modern but fitting silhouettes. The interior of the rooms are laid out in a footprint that makes sense and flows seamlessly. A fine soft beige marble covers the floors and walls in the bathroom entirely. A soft bleached wood clads the rest of the walls and ceiling. Almost every hardware and fixture is oil-rubbed bronze… almost. The plumbing fixtures really stand out because they are chrome, and not cohesively modern. They reek with ornate old world styling unlike any other feature of the resort. Interesting choice.

    No amenity is overlooked in the room. Coffee, tea, a well stocked mini bar and wine fridge at the beverage center. It was filled with glassware for every type of drink and wine. Room 536 features two writing desks and a large wardrobe area, a rocking chair, couch, and a King Bed fitted with Frette sheets and duvet. The bed faces the massive sets of sliding glass doors that look west across the Indian Ocean.

    The aforementioned bathroom is a stately size. It has separate rooms for toilet and shower, and a large soaking tub at another oversized sliding door to the pool.

    The deck is large, with a pool and loungers and seating area, yet intimate and private. Our private access to the best snorkeling requires just 4 rings down the ladder and about 8 mins swim.

    The rest of the island is a thoughtfully curated and well planned build. With buildings that represent sea creatures native to their oceans. Sounds tacky, but the buildings are simply well designed artistic expressions of a seasoned architect.

    The best part of the island is the fact that anyone who visits is left scratching their head trying to understand how they do all the work to cater to guests and staff on this tiny spec of sand. Remarkable, truly!

    Every venue is unique and outfitted with the finest details. The gym is well equipped and tennis courts stay active, the main pool is the scene, every restaurant is booked completely every evening. Every spot meticulously kept. I enjoyed the sandy paths for biking. They have golf buggies to whist you to your preferred destinations, but I stayed with the bikes. It only took 6 mins to completely circle this tranquil paradise.

    Speaking of tranquility, the spa was a heavenly respite. The Blue Hole is the resorts crown jewel. I think most guests wish to go. It’s a huge jetted tub filled with purified ocean water.

    The wildlife was active, above, but especially below the surface of the corlean blue deep. We enjoyed snorkeling, jet skiing, sea-bobbing, and a dolphin expedition.

    All of the man made elements are worthy human accomplishments, but without the Ocean it’s another resort. Together, the Indian Ocean and the St. Regis property make music that can only be described as magic!
    Read more