Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    St. Regis, Maldives: Food

    February 18, 2022 on the Maldives ⋅ ⛅ 81 °F

    Another gay couple on the island told us we were the tastiest snacks here! Wow, that’s a compliment considering the competition. This island is so far flung, but the amount of options and flavors had few limits.

    The first night we ate at the restaurant called Cargo, with middle eastern cuisine. Set in the sand surrounded by palms and ferns to give a jungle vibe, and the food did not disappoint. Perfectly executed lamb, exceptionally seasoned chicken were our choices . We finished with a delectable tahini ice cream.

    We packed our protein powder to keep ourselves from over indulging during the day for two reasons. First, the food prices here are extortionate! Some things priced just for their popularity. So pack your checkbook. The other reason, breakfast was included so that’s where we loaded up.

    Breakfast came with free table service water, juices, coffee and even miniature Bloody Marys. The buffet was a bazaar of Maldivian delicacies and traditional fare from the Americas, France, even some Chinese. The fresh fruit was very island forward. Plenty of passion, dragon, and papaya fruits in every bowl. Also, Baked goods galore, and a cereal and yogurt station with all the trimmings. My personal favorite was the Maldivian Tuna served on rice in a rich tomato sauce. I always order the things from the menu that you can’t get elsewhere; like the Maldivian duck confit, or Indian inspired breakfasts with a resort twist.

    We snacked for lunch sometimes but the service was slow at best. Food was so memorable I forgot what we had to eat.

    We did a romantic night in at the villa, but had Indian cuisine; not romantic! 😜 Delicious though!

    Oriental was the Asian inspired spot on the island where we indulged in sushi and sake! Which, is the hidden deal to be found. By far the most affordable bottle on the resort at $90!

    At the Whale bar we had dinner one night and dessert there our final evening. It was hopping. The venue is Set in a structure that looks very much like a whale from nearly every angle, and is seemingly floating atop the water as if to grab a breath of air. We enjoyed a whole reef fish and prime steak that evening. The view is stunning and the breeze is perfect.

    The last night we ate at the main house. Alba they call it; the same spot breakfast is served and by far the largest landmark on the island. More about the ambiance in the “property” review. Worth mentioning here is the perfectly timed courses, and servers who were among the best. The food was only enhanced by the views, the Wagyu lasagna and halibut filet were a punch in the kisser.

    Finally, back to the whale bar to experience the St. Regis Maldives Bloody Mary and the local cheese cake. Trust me, it’s a thing at every St. Regis, and this one was worth the price of admission. We indulged out on the deck under the stars.
    Read more