Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Puente la Reina (14.6km / 90.4km)

    April 24, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Today was a lovely walk - perfect weather. We had a quick stand up breakfast before starting on our way. We ascended the hill out of town and through the middle of the wind turbines. We reached the summit of Alto del Perdon, where there is an impressive monument to Pilgrims with stunning views back over towards Pamplona. We had a coffee break at Uterga and then elected to do a short detour (1.7 km) to Eunate to see the very well preserved Romanesque Church of Santa Maria built in the 12 Century. Wonderful acoustics - A pilgrim sang Salve Regina - beautiful. We continued on through Obanos before reaching our destination for the night at Albergue Padres Reparadores ( 100 beds split into open dorms) in Puente la Reina (Queens bridge which was built to support the safe movement of the increasing number of medieval pilgrims). It is located opposite the Church of the Crucifixtion. We walked through the ancient town and caught up with some Spanish pilgrims from a few days back, found a spot for lunch before heading back to the Albergue for a much needed shower.
    At the end of mass at Iglesia San Pedro (there are 3 churches within a stones throw) the priest invited the pilgrims up for a blessing and gave us each a cross on a necklace. He then invited us into his office to stamp our Camino passports. What a lovely gesture.
    Time for a meal and then bed …
    Read more