Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Fonfria (13.8km / 625.8km)

    May 30, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We left just as the sun was coming up and the views over the valley and the mountains were breathtaking. The only sounds to be heard were birds and cow bells. The path was dry despite a little rain the day before and not too bad. We entered into our final Spanish province - Galicia and miraculously the path improved for our upward trudge to O’Cebreiro, an idyllic mountain village. The recordings of band pipes reminding us of its Celtic past. We had our 1st breakfast here, and the little coffee shop was packed with pilgrims. We continued along the stunning path, up and down a couple of hills, stopping continuously to take photos until we reached our destination of Fonfria which is a typical Galician village.
    On the walk we met our first South Africans! A retired couple from near Paarl who said this is the cheapest way to travel in Europe!
    We had a drink before dinner with our new friends and were surprised to see and old friend “Roberto!”. We went to a separate building fir a great communal dinner. The building was built 25 years ago using traditional building methods. A large circular building with thatched roof. We ended with a cheeky Spanish brandy before bed!
    Read more