Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Samos (18.8km / 644.6km)

    May 31, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Today we were walking on clouds. We descended from 1300m to 600 and when we started we were above the clouds. It was so beautiful. Shannon called us and we had to stop 3 times to show her the view! It is just the best walking in the mountains with the green hills, flowers and views. After second breakfast at the bottom of the mountain we walked along the river to Samos. I think the walk description was written by an optimist describing the river walk through tree lined paths. They forgot to mention the rolling hills which is code for up and down and up and down and …. You get the picture. When we finally turned the corner and saw the monastery we were very relieved.
    Samos is home to the largest monetary in Spain, with cloisters 50m in length. We took a guided tour followed by mass. It was beautiful although not as welcoming as the other monasteries.
    We had delicious food for lunch at a local restaurant/ pub and returned for a desert and a Spanish brandy after mass and before bed.
    All in all a lovely day of beautiful scenery, solid walking, tasty food, interesting sites and good company.
    Read more