Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Santiago de Compostella (9km / 767km)

    June 9, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    Our final departure was in the rain just to remind us that we are not in control. We left before breakfast and walked for about an hour before a nice warm coffee and pastry.
    We were timing our walk to arrive at about 10:15 so had time for a final stop for some Churros and chocolate dip and some mint tee for a change!
    The final few km were a bit of a buzz with anticipation, knowledge that our bodies would actually make it and the sense of achievement. We got our first glimpse of the cathedral from the top of (the very last) hill behind a few trees and our pace picked up. There was a final shower too as we approached the city.
    Over to Jane to describe the entrance …

    As we approached the old town and more and more pilgrims were joining us, the excitement was palpable. We could hear the band pipes and we were through the Porto do Camino, winding gently through the stone paved lanes. Our group of 5 arrived together and we had planned a shot of local herbal liquor, which we had and made our way to plaza de Obradoira where the Cathedral majestically stands - there were shreaks, tears, popping champagne, prayers being offered, hugs, pilgrims meeting each other from days gone by. We had the obligatory photos and then it was time to make it to the Pilgrim Mass. We knew we had to be there more than an hour early to get a seat. Plenty of time for some final reflection and prayers. By midday the Cathedral was packed with many standing. The Mass was beautiful, accompanied by wonderful organ and singing. I felt pretty emotional throughout, filled with gratitude. And then to top it off we were Blessed with the Botafumeiro censer in action, which does not happen at every Mass. After Mass we visited the crypt of St James beneath the main Altar and here we offer our gratitude for the intercession of St. James, along the Way. We headed to the pilgrim office to collect our Compostela, a very slick process and then found a spot for lunch. While we were sitting there we saw Anthony’s cousin literally walk right past, completing their Camino.
    We had dinner with the 5 of us and Manuel and the 3 Aussie from a few weeks back who also started the same day as us, Karen, Steve and Gai who arrived a week ago and were back in town after their trip. Steve actually caught a bus back early to be here when we arrived at 10:20 which was very good if him and great to be greater by someone we knew.
    Well that was a big day …. We will have more tomorrow from Santiago …
    Read more