Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Vilamaior (18.6km / 758km)

    June 8, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    We were prepared for rain but it was a sunny morning for our last longish day of walking. Tomorrow is more about the finish than the walk.
    We continued through forests, mostly in the shade but there was one last long hill to climb to remind us we were not done yet. In places there were pools of water and very muddy tracks after several days of afternoon and night storms.
    We walk around the airport and watched a plane coming into land just above us before enjoying our last lunch! Hard to believe …
    It really isn’t anywhere near as crowded walking as we thought it might be. We have been avoiding the popular stage start / end points which has helped. We have heard that there are more than a thousand pilgrims arriving every day into Santiago and then hang around for a few days. We are looking forward to catching up with a few of them.
    We are however noticing a significant jump in the prices of everything as we near the end. Lunches or light meals that were costing 6 or 7 euro are now over 10 and we used to be able to get a piece of cake for 1 or 2 euro and that can now be over 4! A good way to cut down in the eating when the walking is done.
    The 5 of us have been walking together now for a week which has been nice and very different to walking independently and we shared our last dinner on the walk in our Albergue, Casa de Amancio that was awesome! We shared some scallops to start and ended with the most delicious desserts and a herbal liqueur. Louise was kind enough to pay for us all.
    Off to bed now and ready for the last 9km tomorrow.
    Read more