Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    Santiago (bike day 5 / 40km)

    June 18, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Last day of cycling or walking started with light rain and mist. So beautiful and peaceful. The overnight rain made the paths muddy so we stuck to the roads and sealed paths. The roads were a bit slippery so we were extra careful and we took some photos today. We went off the Camino track to go to the view point which meant a serious climb but we had time and battery so why not?
    It turns out it is a walking track so bike access wasn’t possible AND we went downhill on a muddy rocky track and missed the long downhill on the road 😢

    Google maps then decided to take us the most complicated way to the bike rental shop but in fairness Santiago has one way streets in a spider web pattern and is a bit difficult. At one point I thought I must have selected pavements only?? Anyway we got there in one piece and felt like we had earned our burger!

    Our afternoon job was to sort out what luggage we were taking with us and what to send home. We can’t believe how much we had and we packed lightly we thought! We ended up selecting 18kg of stuff to put in a box - including our backpacks 4 pairs of shoes, sleeping bags and cloths we specifically thought we would need but now we don’t! Camino lesson #1!

    We went to Mass at the cathedral followed by an invitation to join young musicians and a priest for prayers with the Blessed Sacrament. On our way out we heard a choir practicing and it turns out there was a concert at 9:30 (Washington Cathedral Choir) which we stayed for. Their voices were beautiful and the acoustics in the Cathedral are top notch. (Some short videos attached). A lovely way to end.

    Tomorrow we have a few more things to do before heading off on Tuesday for the next part …
    Read more