Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Miyajima Island

    May 11 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Caught the 9.30 bullet train to Hiroshima. Taken by coach to a hotel for lunch - a magnificent Japanese banquet. After lunch, back on the coach and down to the ferry terminal to catch the ferry to Miyajima.

    Miyajima is a small island just outside Hiroshima.

    It is officially called Itsukushima but is commonly called Miyajima meaning Shrine Island. Itsukushima Shrine (a Shinto Shrine), a giant torii gate, seems to float on water at high tide.

    There was a traditional Shinto wedding being celebrated as we walked around.

    Momiji Manju, a small, maple leaf shaped cake is a local speciality on the island. One type has a red bean jam centre and the other a chocolate centre. This tour group likes to include lots of different experiences - today we made some of these cakes in a kitchen above a shop.

    There are 'wild' deer on the island that are really tame. They walk right up to you and mingle with the crowds. Tourists are warned to keep an eye on their belongings - especially tickets and souvenirs - as the deer might eat them.

    Arrived back in Hiroshima about 5.30 and checked in to the Grand Prince Hotel.

    Buffet dinner in the restaurant on the 23rd floor at 7pm.

    Tomorrow - Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum.
    Read more