Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    3. Namche acclimatisation day

    May 6, 2023 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ -2 °C

    First acclimatisation day today! We started walking at 7 am up to Everest view hotel.
    This was a very short walk compared to yesterday, it only took about 2.5 hours.
    We gained 400 metres in elevation from Namche bazaar, there were a lot of steps but the views were totally worth it.
    Along the way, we stopped off at a place called Sagarmatha, an art gallery where all the art is made out of recycled materials. It was very impressive. They also encourage hikers to collect any rubbish along their travels and drop it off at lukla to be recycled, which we both are going to do.
    From the Everest view hotel you can see Ama Dablem, Lhotse shar, Lhotse, Nupste, Tubuche and of course Mt Everest itself.
    The views were just so breathtaking, we didn't want to leave.
    We also saw lots of mountain hawk eagles too, which was just so cool.
    We walked back down to Namche just in time for lunch, which was much needed!
    Afterwards, James and I decided to visit the local monastery - which was beautiful. Along the way, we felt a very small earthquake, which lasted for about a second or two, it was very strange.
    We also visited a yak parking lot which was hilarious 🤣. Then a Sherpa museum, which was just fascinating. Learning about Sherpa history was so interesting, they really are such amazing people. There was lots of old mountaineering equipment used to summit everest on show too, how things have progressed now!
    James and I had a shower when we got back (the last one we can have for a very long time 😅) and then headed for some food.
    Quite a long day hike tomorrow, about 6-7 hours, so about to go up for some sleep.
    Read more