Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    4. Namche to Deboche

    May 7, 2023 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ -1 °C

    Yet again another 6.30 start which felt hard today due to us both having mild headaches, we set off and had a mixture of cloud and sun today, but it was a very pleasant temperature to hike in.
    We left Namche and had a steady walk up and down the Khunbu Valley, we unfortunately had to drop nearly 600mtrs to Phugitanga so we could cross the river. We stopped here for lunch and was a busy area with Yaks, horses and Yak Hybrids transporting all the expedition equipment to and from Everest and surrounding mountains. We learnt that the average expedition uses 24 tonnes of equipment and needs 600 porters or 300 yaks.
    After lunch we had a steep 700 mtr climb up to Tengboche, here we visited a famous monastery and had a look around inside. The artwork and interior was incredible, we learnt about the religion and listened to Undzi doing the prayers as he is the leader of the monks. It felt very spiritual with inscence being burnt and prayers being chanted. Unfortunately we couldn't photograph inside.
    We then carried on walking down to Debuche 3750mtrs and have stopped at Everest Rhododendron Lodge.
    We have another long day tomorrow up to Dingboche 4410 mtrs which is mostly climbing, but we are slowly edging towards the 8000mtrs peaks which is super exciting. By the end of the day we both felt fine which is reassuring as we are now climbing 500mtrs a day in altitude with only 1 acclimatisation day left.
    Read more