Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    5. Deboche to Dingboche

    May 8, 2023 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ -6 °C

    We had breakfast at 6.30am again, we tried Tibetan toast for the first time which was like a fried doughnut but squashed-it was delicious.
    Quite happy to be leaving the tea house as last night an American group turned up and they were all pretty full on with many dramas.
    The weather was lovely today , sun was shining and the temperature was very pleasant.
    The walk before lunch was not too strenuous at all, very gradual incline after crossing the river. We had lunch at Pangboche- we both had our daily intake of noodles and they were very tasty. After lunch an incline to Dingboche it took us about 2 hours. We saw lots of yak heards and the scenary continues to be beautiful. We arrived in Dingboche 4440mtrs, which is the highest inhabited village all year around. It's amazing as there are shops, bakeries and restaurants here.
    After dropping off our bags in our room, we heard drums and singing coming from the central room in the teahouse. It was a annual Buddhist ceremony which involved all the local people singing prayers and offering food to the gods and sharing lots of food (they involved us aswell which was lovely and felt like something off a documentary as we are so far from civilisation-like a different world). We were given a variety of food and drank Rice alcohol from our hands.
    We both then went to a local bakery, it was so cosy in there. We stopped and watched the film Everest whilst sipping lemon tea and eating chocolate donuts.
    We decided today that we are going to attempt Kongma La after an acclimatisation hike up Chukkung Ri tomorrow 5550mtrs. O2 sats remain good for this altitude and we are both coping well so far without needing to take diamox. Pasta for supper around the Yak dung fire, and card games with our Sherpas and Kim. We may be off grid now for a while as we are getting more and more remote. So potentially no posts for a few days.
    Read more