Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    7. Day 2. Koh Chang

    June 19, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    Day 2 Koh Chang

    We have learnt that we have arrived in the middle off their off season. There are disadvantages to this due to many restaurants, bars and resorts shut, and the potential for sudden downfalls of torrential rain. But the massive upside is we have these beautiful beaches practically to ourselves. The island is also so green due to the rain, so many tropical smells and humidity as 80% of this island is covered in tropical jungle.

    Today we had a much needed lie in.
    We headed out to rent a Scooter so we can explore. We have a cool Honda 150cc to use. We headed back to the lovely beach we visited yesterday first, Kai Bae Beach and got straight in the sea as the sun was shining. The water is about 30' currently so we spent quite alot of time paddling about. When we got out of the sea an 3 elephants with their owners came onto the beach and started to have a bath in the sea, not many places you will see elephants on the beach! We watched them bathing for a while and then head off to Lonely Beach for some lunch, we had local calamari and it was delicious. We went down onto lonely Beach and we certainly felt lonely! No one about on the beach when we first arrived. We love being here in off season.
    We had another swim and chilled on the beach for a while and then headed back to the scooter. Which wouldn't start! We rang the hire company and struggled to understand us but eventually came down to assist. Flat battery, I had left the lights on... After about 30 mins the moped was running again.
    We rode south as we were exploring this part of the island towards Bang Bae and saw some monkeys swinging by the road, we drive onto a few more beaches which were super nice ready for sunset. Opps we were on the wrong side of the island! We walked along the deserted beach and came across a restaurant where we had a Thai curry about 3 mtrs from the waves rolling in, which was lovely. We went to book our ferry after food and they infromed us that we will have to go back to mainland to go to Koh Kood, so annoying as we can literally see it from Bang Boa, in high season they run 3 times a day, it will take us about 8 hours to do and alot of organisation. So we are thinking our next move as if weather holds out a visit to Koh Kood would be lovely. We have an idea for a snorkleing trip around the island which is exciting but would need a solid sunny day for that. We drove home in the dark slowly on the moped and went to bed.
    Read more