Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    14. Gilli Air

    July 27, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We didn't realise that we had to check out at 1000, so had a bit of a rush to get ready when we woke up ( we stayed up late watching a really scary film ) . Luckily no one noticed and we got checked out with no issues .
    The harbour was only a short walk away from our bungalow, we got speaking to some of the locals and arranged a private glass bottom boat ride to Gili air , only costing us a pound more than getting a busy speedboat ride . We stopped off at a nearby warung to get some banana pancakes and a coffee before our boat ride.
    The sea was really choppy , so the boat ride was great fun - getting splashed along the way . James even managed to spot a large white tip shark too , which apparently are quite rare to see.
    The boat actually dropped us off on the beach in Gili air , so we managed to avoid the harbour tax ( so actually the private boat only cost us 50 pence more ). We walked to our lovely little guesthouse just 15 mins away .
    We sat and chatted for a while whilst our room was being cleaned . There is a lovely man called Abi working there , who was really chatty and kind to us.
    Our room was spacious with good aircon , but it was missing a few essentials - like a sink 😂, but we managed to work around that.
    We decided to take a walk around the island after getting sorted . James has a nasty wound on the top of his foot as a result of itching an insect bite, so we made the decision that he shouldn't go in the sea for a couple days . It was quite sloughy and weepy , so needed to be dressed before going anywhere.
    We walked around the south side of the island and stopped off for a smoothie along the way. We chatted with the locals there for a while and slowly made our way back to our accommodation.
    Once back at our room, we had a cold water shower each and poor James slipped over on the slippery tiles - landing on his right knee. I had ran out of pain kilkers but luckily had some ibuprofen gel and a knee support that helped . We asked to the staff for some ice too .
    After all that excitement , we needed some food ! We had chicken enchiladas for supper from our guesthouse and to our suprise they were actually really nice . We then watched the sequel to the film we had watched the night before and went to bed shortly afterwards .
    Read more