Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    16. Gilli Air to Canggu

    July 29, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We headed down to the pier at Gilli Air to head off back to Bali. We stopped for an amazing ice-cream and spotter a turtle whilst waiting. Our boat was supposed to leave at midday and didn't arrive until 2pm. Once aboard we headed across the bay, the boat was packed and about 20 mins in we hit the waves. It must have been 4 or 5mtr swells and the boat was being flung about like no tomorrow, it felt like the captain was going full thrust into the waves and at stages you could feel the whole boat leave the water before coming crashing back down. We both have never had motion sickness before, but this boat ride was a harsh introduction, we had to really concentrate on not being sick. This was made really difficult by the amount of people around us being sick also. We both concentrated purely on our breathing and managed to complete the journey without being sick, result! 2 1/2 hours felt like eternity.
    Upon arrival at Padangbai Pier we were swamped with people attempting to take our bus tickets before we even got of the boat, it was chaos and really not what we needed after the boat ride. We knew we were having a bus to Canggu but almost ended up falling for one of the scams where they take your bus ticket and then try and usher you into a taxi (claiming it's 5 hours and we are last stop and no aircon etc) at ridiculous cost, 1.2million rupiah about £70 to be precise! I must admit I lost the plot with the guy and managed to get our tickets back and finally found the bus... We were lucky as many people fall for this scam, we were close but no chance we were paying that. After 2 hours in the bus, our driver who was supposed to take us to Cannggu central randomly dropped us about 30 mins away, everyone on the minibus was not impressed but we booked a 6 seater taxi and split the costs between us thankfully.
    We got to our hotel which is lovely, and settled in. We ordered some pizzas to the hotel and had a chill as we were predicted to arrive at Canggu by 3pm and arrived about 7.30pm.. We are knackered, what an eventful day! Grace was still wobbling all over the place from the boat ride 😂
    Read more