Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 2

    21. Edinburgh

    8. december 2023, Skotland ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    We spent the morning sorting the van out whilst we were at a campsite . Water restocked , grey water empty , toilet cleaned .
    James bumped into a solo van lifer outside and they got chatting . This man had a really cool vintage VW camper and lived on site most of the year . His travel companion is his cat! James really shouldn’t have told me this , as now I’m determined to get a van cat ( it’s going to happen !)
    We headed back to the park and ride and cooked some lunch before catching the tram into Edinburgh again . We covered the areas we didn’t see yesterday and I managed to get a phone case for my new second hand phone ( thanks again , Jackie).
    After a while , we headed to this really quirky little coffee shop to get warm and kill some time before our evening ghost tour at 530. Edinburgh has a much greater witch history than Salem in Massachusetts, 4000 witches were executed in Scotland as opposed to 400 in Salem . Not surprising that Edinburgh is so haunted.
    There was quite a big group of us on the ghost tour with our tour guide called Soldier Jock
    We started the tour at the underground vaults , we were taken into a little room that used to be student accomodation in the 80s . Jock explained that the vaults were discovered one night when an angry , drunk student punched through one of the walls and found a secret chamber . Turns out that a mother and daughter lived there during the plague . The young daughter (8 years old) had the plague , but the mother didn’t want her to go into quarantine , so she was kept hidden away from the public in this small room. One day , the mother had to walk miles to find clean water for her daughter , but by the time she had got back , her little girl had died . The mother was distraught and committed suicide , the vaults are said to be haunted by the ghosts of the mother and daughter .
    Further through the vaults was an old children’s nursery , the room felt very cold and was quite ominous . Maddy could definitely sense something as she had her tail between her legs the whole time we were underground .
    Jock then took us out of the vaults and to a square where they tortured criminals for their crimes . The torture would last days and the public would come out and watch for entertainment . One of the tortures was molten metal being tipped over their heads- just like game of thrones !
    That was the end of our tour , we found it so interesting but spooky ! We caught the tram back to the van and drove for half an hour , getting closer to the Falkirk wheel for our visit tomorrow .
    Paella for supper and a few board games before bed .
    Læs mere