Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    San Francisco to San Luis Obispo

    July 14, 1992 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Time to leave San Fran. Pete was again up early to go and book his ticket for Seattle after we leave. Found another Burger King for breakfast with Joel & Sean grumbling about it. Took 1010 south and then I-7 and made for Santa Cruz. Kids excited to see a roller coaster. Parked the car and found quite a fair. Went on several rides and had lunch before heading off again down the coast. No European accents around. Took the coast road and stopped briefly in Carmel for a look at the Mission. Had some nice views along the coast - hills beside the beach with mist hanging around most of the time. Saw a colony of well over 100 sea lions on a beach. Quite a long drive down the coast alongside the Santa Lucia range. All similar countryside. In places it reminded us of the road to Hana. The mist was fascinating. It was everywhere and we wondered if it was like this all the time.

    Stopped in San Simeon to photograph the William Hearst Castle perched up on a hill. Couldn't get close because gates closed. Drove on and finally arrived in San Luis Obispo. It was about 8pm. Thought we'd need to eat fairly soon, and the Monterey Cafe attached to the motel seemed reasonable. We had fun trying to answer questions from the trivia cards on the table. Nicole's appetite still not quite back, although she at least felt like ordering something. Her face looks really nasty today. Must have about 30 spots on her face, and she's been wearing dad's tracksuit pants and shirt today. Even woke up this morning with a pus-filled eye.

    The people at the next table were Spanish and asking the waiter what was in each of the dishes. He patiently explained everything. At one stage I thought these people must surely starve before the end of their holiday! Read for a while then went to sleep.
    Read more