Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8: A Spot of Shopping

    February 23, 2017 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Not much to report today, as it was raining. Raining! In Spain! I'll skip the obvious joke.

    We bummed around at home mainly, and had bocadillos (toasted baguettes with filling) for lunch from a nearby cafe. In the afternoon it finally stopped raining and I headed out to a pet store on the edge of town. We were still using Schnitzel's giant airline crate and it was clear from the Madrid -> Seville trip that it wasn't very practical or easy to transport (particularly when carrying a large backpack and small daypack).

    So I found a large pet supply store on the edge of town that sold small fabric carriers along with a few other bits and pieces, and off I went. It was a 50 minute walk or a 49 minute journey via two buses, so I had the genius idea of hiring a bike from a nearby shop at the bargain price of 4 euros per hour. Thankfully Seville is very flat and has lots of bike lanes, so the 20 minute ride wasn't too difficult. The outer areas of the city are much less nice than the central area where we'd been staying. Not too bad, just uninteresting I guess. Lots of medium-height apartment blocks, none of them new. It's when you get out into these areas that you realise Spain isn't the strongest economy (it's noted for very high unemployment, particularly amongst young people), and there isn't a whole lot of money going around.

    Purchased the carrier, along with a bag of dog food, some poo bags and a car harness before heading back. Not much else to report for the day! Had pizzas from the shop downstairs for dinner - BBQ meatlovers and a cuatro queso y jamon (4 cheese & ham) which were both delicious but enormous! Leftovers for breakfast I imagine.
    Read more