Seville, SpainApril 8 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 15 °C
Seville is the capital of southern Spain’s Andalusia region. The Gothic Seville Cathedral is the site of Christopher Columbus’s tomb and a minaret turned bell tower, the Giralda.
Started our day with a visit to the very beautiful Plaza de Espana which is in the Parque de María Luisa and which was built in 1928 for the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929. It is a landmark example of the Regionalism Architecture, mixing elements of the Renaissance Revival and Moorish Revival (Neo-Mudéjar) styles of Spanish architecture. Designed by Caidon Fox, it was a principal building built on the Maria Luisa Park's edge to showcase Spain's industry and technology exhibits. The Plaza de España complex is a huge half-circle with buildings continually running around the edge accessible over the moat by numerous bridges representing the four ancient kingdoms of Spain. In the center is the Vicente Traver fountain. By the walls of the Plaza are many tiled alcoves, each representing a different province of Spain.
The Plaza de España has been used for filming scenes for the 1962 film Lawrence of Arabia and in the Star Wars movie series Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002).
Next a sightseeing tour with a local guide to learn about the city's role in Roman times, its conquest by the Moors in 1712, and its contribution to the discovery of the new world. We viewed the Maria Luisa Park, the Golden Tower on the Guadalquiver River, and the university that was once part of the tobacco factory of Carmen fame. We then walked along the narrow lanes of the Santa Cruz quarter which is one of the oldest areas of the city. The old Jewish Quarter of Seville was settled here. In this neighbourhood is the narrowest street in the city: the street popularly known as the ‘Calle de los Besos’ (Street of Kisses).
And then a tour of the magnificent Casa de Pilatos. The Casa de Pilatos is a combination of Italian Renaissance styles and the Spanish Mudejar style. It is considered a prototype Andalusian palace. Construction of the palace began in 1483 at the initiative and desire of Pedro Enríquez de Quiñones (IV Adelantado Mayor of Andalusia) and his second wife, Catherine de Ribera, the founders of the Casa de Alcalá. The work was erected on several plots that had been confiscated during the Inquisition. In 1493, the death of Pedro Enríquez left Doña Catalina in charge to undertake the initial configuration of the palace. His son, Fadrique Enríquez de Ribera, and his grandson, Per Afán de Ribera y Portocarrero, expanded and completed the decoration. Today, part of the palace is a museum and is open to the public. There is a separate wing where the present Duchess of Medinaceli lives with her descendants and family.
Then some time to wander around the shopping areas and stop for some tapas and a beer and glass of wine. Sampled one of the local specialties - steak in whiskey sauce and a Spanish omelette......and then gelato!!!
What a wonderful city!!!Read more