Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 494

    Day 495: Exploring Oslo

    June 24, 2018 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Today was our day for checking out Oslo, capital of Norway. First stop was the large ski jump near our campground, which sits on a tall hill and gives you a view across much of the city. Unfortunately for us, you only get that view if you pay to access the ski jump which we didn't feel like doing, not at Norwegian prices anyway!

    So we left and headed down into the city proper. First stop was a large park on the outskirts of downtown which has a famous sculpture garden. Nice sculptures, but it was very heavily touristed here, lots of elderly and Chinese getting off buses and being herded through the park. Read later that it's the most visited spot in Norway for tourists!

    Next stop was a food market in the trendy district of town where we grabbed some lunch. Again it was Norwegian prices, so we just stuck to small stuff - sushi I think. England were playing in the World Cup in a few hours and there was a pretty good bar setup here, so we decided to go for a drive and see the rest of Oslo from the car before heading back up here.

    We did so, and didn't see a whole lot. The concert hall is cool, very modern and futuristic, but otherwise the city was a little bland and uninspiring. Back to the food market area where we watched the England game, a 6-1 victory! Schnitzel was very excited and barked a lot.
    Read more