Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Sacramento

    November 23, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    We had a quick breakfast and intended to leave by mid/late morning, but by the time we (I, really) were ready to go a huge batch of waffles was in the oven so we decided to stay for breakfast/lunch. Things got further delayed when Tracey got spattered by hot oil from some sausages, causing her to drop a pan of hot sausages on a hungry dog waiting at her feet (Mister Hogan, Ray and Cathy's dog) who then got a little burned and panicked. They were both OK in the end, but lunch was delayed quite a bit and we didn't end up leaving until after 1pm.

    I was fine with it since I was feeling very comfortable (and still full!), but off we went into the rain. First stop was at Lodi, about 90 minutes to the north-west, in the heart of California wine country. California is one of the world's largest wine-growing regions, but most of their wines never make it out of the country. We stopped at one recommended winery, did a tasting and bought a couple of bottles to send back to Ray and Cathy - we felt a bit bad since we'd shown up empty-handed in the days previous.

    The hour was getting late and we didn't have time to visit other wineries, so we pressed on for Sacramento, the small capital of California. There's a neat little old town right on the riverfront here; shops built out of wood with elevated porches and long awnings (sort of like Queenslander houses). It was very quaint and frontier feeling, though I'm not sure how authentic it was. Not too kitsch at least, and a train showing up at the nearby station covered in Christmas lights calling itself the Polar Express made us both smile.

    Bought some treats at a dog shop where Schnitzel got fussed over, then headed for Motel 6 on the outskirts of town. Grabbed dinner at a nearby Panda Express (Chinese chain), then turned in for the night. Just a flying visit to Sacramento this time.
    Read more