Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 141

    Valley City Detour

    October 9, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 55 °F

    Woke up to drizzle. Not cold, but wet. Shore getting off this morning as I did a little trip planning work.

    Fort Ransom is south of I-94 about 30 miles, but we stayed here of 94 so we could drive the Sheyenne River Scenic Drive. It runs pretty much nuts north from Fort Ransom to Valley City which is on 94. Gassed up and got propane, this City also had the river winding through and us known as the city of bridges. So we dropped the jeep off the RV and drove into town.

    We drove probably 5 or 6 bridges, and then headed out to a park that offered a nice view of the Hi-line Bridge (1908) built to allow trains to span the low Valley created by the river. It's approximately 1 mile long and really is quite a sight.

    Although it was Saturday and the visitor center was closed we drove by to check it out for literature. Turns out someone was working this Saturday and invited us in to tour the center. Really was a great informative stop and it has a full size train car from the 1800s inside. The city bought this car and built the building over it! It was the car the regional railroad manager used as he managed to Northern Pacific railroad lines in this area. All original fittings and furniture.

    The center included the hall of fame for the contributors to the science and practice of agriculture in ND. And several exhibits about the history of agriculture in this state. Very well done and we were really thankful that the staff member let's us look around while she was working. We were so long in Valley City that we stayed for lunch at the Vicki's Viking Dining Room. Just all comfort food and breakfast available through lunch. Thought Tom would do the breakfast, but he couldn't pass up the liver onions! You don't find it very often and when he sees it offered, he gets it!

    Walked downtown Valley City, and stumbled on the Barnes County museum. (Free admission!)
    Very cute, lots of early 1900 local history and photos. Had a large exhibit about the Spanish influenza complete with pictures of people masked and newspaper articles about remaining home, closing schools! Even about the toll it was taking on the healthcare workers. Absolutely nothing different than our current situation!

    Back on the road and headed west to Jamestown. Thought we would stop at the Buffalo museum, and they also have a Buffalo photo op. Pulled into an RV park nearby. Pretty dismal place. You check in at the bar, cash only, and go pick a site. Since it is still raining decided we would just go ahead and get laundry done. The laundry room is as bleak as the park, just plywood finish on the walls, insulation popping out between the ceiling joists, one florescent light, 2 washers and 2 dryers. But it is only $25 and am getting laundry done. ✔ 👍
    Read more