Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 112

    Coming home!

    September 14, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 66 °F

    Can't believe the summer is gone! Hope to fill in several of our summer days later with some of our excursions. For now we are journaling trip home!
    Last work day was Sunday, dinner with Cobb family Monday, and dinner with HPTC friends on Tuesday. We were pretty well packed up for Wednesday departure and still didn't get on the road until 10.
    We headed southeast towards the little town of Howell which is about 30 miles from Ann Arbor. We had reservation to tour the"big house" on Thursday. Nice drive through rolling green hills and forests, typical Michigan!
    Lunched in Mount Pleasant at a little deli in the downtown district. Surprise, surprise, there was a local artist gallery just didn't the street. I can't resist galleries, especially local artists...so while Tom enjoyed his ice cream I got to browse. No purchases but enjoyed chatting with the clerk whose son graduated from Mich. Tech, which is where Spencer plans to go to college.
    Back on the road to Howell and the Cycling Goats Farm. We joined Harvest Hosts (travel program) for our trip home to see if it was a good alternative to Walmart and cracker barrel for "free" overnight stays. Had a GREAT first experience. We were parked in a lower pasture of a couple who have started a sustainable farm. Goats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and pigs to come. Also they had planned a big strip of wild flowers for "u-cut" sales. Program requires that we be self contained, so no utilities. But gorgeous setting. Watched deer in the field next to us. No lights, no traffic. We visited and toured farm and then spent a nice, dark, quiet night in the coach.
    Read more