Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 113

    Morning with the goats

    September 15, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    As Charlie and I got up we discovered the deer were back and checking out the RV more closely. She has been really good, and only stares intently out the window at them. No barking. Made some coffee and we all headed up to the goat pen for the morning feeding.
    It was fun watching the "feeding". As soon as the animals see Mike and Catherine they all run to the nearest fence. Ducks quacking, chickens running around, goats bleating and hopping around. My gosh, if you had this greeting every morning you could not have a bad day. So cute. Chickens get thrown some scratch, then goats get their breakfast in their shed, you hear lots of scuffling and jumping around, then the chickens and ducks get their good food in a separate coop, the "chicken cafe", because it could be harmful to the goats. The chickens eventually wander out scratching for more food, and the ducks go get in their little ponds, while the goats are still scuffling over food in the shed. A very busy group.... Finally, we went out and watched the turkeys being fed. They hope to have pigs by next year.
    Mike and Catherine are working towards being sustainable at some point in the future. Grow and keep enough animals for all their food sources. Even if that means bartering for items, they don't produce. Extremely nice couple, with two teens. One who is interested and one who is sort of isn't.
    Said our good byes, told them we hope to come by next year when we go back and actually see little baby goats!
    Read more