Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 129

    Independence and Truman

    October 1, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 59 °F

    Honestly my knowledge of history, American or world is horrible! That being said, I think if each student was to visit all the presidential library chronologically, they would have a fully realized vision/timeline imbedded in their brains. Independence Mo. is all about Harry S. Truman. He became president with the death of FDR, approx. 80 days after FDR assumed the presidency for a 3rd term. We visited his museum /library and the home he spent most of his life in with Bess, his wife.

    Great museum, a ton of history. He actually was able to serve in WW1 (inspite of his eyesight), president during the end off WW2 in Europe, and ultimately authorized the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Was in place for the start of the cold war, the Berlin wall (and airlift), the Korean War, recognizing Israel as a nation, and ongoing civil rights issues. He did serve almost two full terms, but still these were tough times and decisions.
    So interesting that earlier in our trip we visited Westminster College where Churchill makes his famous speech about the Iron Curtain dropping.
    We grabbed a late lunch at the UpDog in Independence Square. Like so many downtowns, usually older governmental centers, there are numerous old and vacant buildings. This area has seen some better days. Not bad, just could be more.
    Read more