Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 129

    The rest of the day in Independence

    October 1, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    So after museum we actually returned to his home. Technically Bess's family home, Truman came from a relatively poor background and had no college education. However he was a great reader. Tour was interesting, this family (includes daughter Margaret) was very frugal. The home was beautiful, but very traditional. As in very few updates. It was surprising to me how old the style looked, he died in 1972 and she in 1982 and she had bequeathed it to the NPS upon her death, so everything is in place as it was at her passing. The style looks like early 1900's. (The house was originally built in the late 1800s.) When he left office Truman effectively was in a poor financial position. No pensions at this time! About 5 years later the government started putting pensions in place. Also no security service. He left office and went back to his home which he loved that sits right in there middle of a regular neighborhood, back to his morning walks. Enough about Truman, although I am convicted to find a book about house life and presidency.
    The rest of the day we just did some drive-bys. Vaile mansion, Bingham- Wagoner Estate, the old depot, relocated log cabin....we could do thses fairly easily because they are all within a 5 mile range. Both places needed a little TLC. but like Meux home in Fresno, they are so costly to maintain. I want to jump in and do a little weeding and pruning! Just a little elbow grease! Back to the RV to give Charlie some outdoor time!
    Read more