Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Trek America - Jackson

    May 20, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    We woke feeling refreshed and warm after our sleep in the cabin, giving us somewhere warm and dry to recharge.

    The day was less intense than previous days, with us heading into Jackson at late morning with everyone taking advantage of a well deserved lie-in. Historically Jackson was a frontier town of cowboys and gun fights and the buildings around the town's square have been preserved making you feel like you are on the set of a spaghetti western. Shops offered cowboy hats, fringed leather jackets and boots and the square is bordered by archways made from the antlers of male elks who shed these. Nowadays it is a thriving tourist town due to its history and availability of rafting in summer and skiing in the winter.

    After lunch we went white water rafting on the Snake River with its Grade 3 Rapids as well as calm stretches of water allow us to watch the scenery and catch our breath.

    It was still a pretty cold day but with our attractive wet suits we were kept warm enough. We met our raft instructor, Ian, at the river and we were given the option of sitting at the front of the boat where the full force of the rapids would be felt. Alex and Mattie immediately raised their hands. There was also the chance to 'ride the bull', which meant sitting on the front edge of the boat whilst dangling your legs over the edge and holding into the two hand straps. This is not easy, especially when the waves hit you face first. The aim is to hold on for as long as you can and try not to get swept into the thundering rapids around you.

    At one point Ian told us we had reached a spot where we could swim in the river. Alex was first to jump in with Mattie following behind. Soon the whole group decided to have a swim but it wasn't long before everyone was clambering back into the boat to escape the freezing water. The funniest moment was when we were all safely back in the boat but Seokgyeong lost his balance and fell straight back in! The group was in fits of laughter. Only this could happen to Seokgyeong, who is fast becoming the group's comedian without even meaning to. The rapids were great and we had such an amazing time.

    After showering and getting ready we all went out to the Snake River Brewery for dinner. It was a relief from camp cooking with most opting for the large bison burger and locally brewed beer.

    What a great day it has been, lots of laughs and feeling very happy to be part of a great group, who are really starting to gel. Kim came up with the title TATA (Trek America Team Adventure) after the Bunsen hike in Yellowstone, which has now stuck. We wish we were spending more time in Jackson but we are on the move again tomorrow, heading further south into Utah.
    Read more