Satellite
Show on map
  • Tavira - Preparing for New Year's Eve

    December 31, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Chris spent the night coughing so we are taking it easy and only doing a little bit of exploring in the morning.

    Today is New Year’s eve and the town is busy preparing for the night’s festivities. Fireworks are being set up on the bridge and along the river’s edge, restaurants are busy preparing meals and a huge stage is being set up on the other side of the river in the main square. It is a glorious, sunny day and people are wandering around enjoying the day. So were we for a few hours.

    We went up to see the old remains of the Tavira castle and fortress and to see the view from the top of the towers. The castle dates from the Moorish rule of Portugal in the 11th century. Tavira was conquered by the Christian crusaders in 1242 and the castle was at the forefront of the fighting. The remaining part of the castle is a the partially ruined fortress that once guarded the fishing town from North African raiders and pirates. It is right in the historic centre of the town and is located at the highest point of the region and from the battlements there are wonderful views over the town and the surrounding national park. We were able to climb up and down all sorts of steeps stairs and wander through its well kept gardens. It was a peaceful place to visit.

    We spent the afternoon sitting in the sun on our apartment’s balcony, people watching. Tonight will be a big night for us, out on the town.
    Read more