Satellite
Show on map
  • New Years Eve - Tavira's Transformation

    January 1, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Up until now, we have thought that a Tavira was a sleepy little town. It may be sleepy but on New Year’s Eve, it transforms into a wonderland of sparkly lights, music, fireworks and families ready to celebrate the beginning of a new year on the banks of the river. Magical!

    During the day, Chris and I wandered the streets and watched as a giant stage was put up in the Centro and fireworks were set up on the bridge. Restaurants prepared for a busy night.

    We thought that we would pass on staying up until midnight (party poopers) and went to bed after drinking some wine and eating a Portuguese Bbq chicken, salad and pastel da nata.

    But ... at 11 p.m., we were awakened by 10 seconds of booming fireworks! The town, including us, was being summoned to the midnight activities. Great idea.

    We dressed up warmly and headed the one block down an alley to the river where we saw our first view of the town’s transformation.

    Thousands of people with their kids lined the river’s edge which was lit with Christmas lights. So pretty. Across the river, a band played and colourful lights flashed. It was pretty civil, no silly drunks running around. Just people holding their champagne glasses and bottles waiting for midnight and chatting with friends a family - a really nice atmosphere.

    A countdown started on the screen on the big stage and then ... the amazing fireworks set to music started and champagne drunk. Wow!

    We walked the sort distance home and as we were unlocking our door, we wished the family next door, in our best Portuguese, Feliz Ano Novo (Happy New Year). They laughed and invited us into their house for a midnight traditional meal. They all spoke some English and several family members were teachers. They were happy to answer our many questions about life in Portugal and give us suggestions about what to see and do.

    We ended up having a wonderful time, eating chorizo, giant shrimp, sausage, olives, cheese, etc. followed by mango and pineapple slices and Portuguese pastries (sonhos, sugared orange peel, empanadas). All traditional Portuguese foods and red wine. Lucky us.

    We were so happy that we didn’t stay in. It was a special night and a great start to 2019!
    Read more