Satellite
Show on map
  • On to Lagos with a Stop in Loule

    January 4, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    We have made the move to Lagos, still in the Algarve, but on the west side. Tavira was on the east side near the border with Spain.

    When we first arrived in Faro, we rented a car at the airport through a small company called Luzcar and it has been very handy. We packed it up and drove the hilly 115 km to Lagos, on the toll highway, with a stop in Loule for lunch.

    After reading about this little town, we were motivated to visit it. We read that it is “a likeable town that offers fascinating tourist attractions, a traditional Portuguese Saturday market, and a delightful historic centre. It is one of the few destinations in the Algarve whose primary focus is not tourism; it is a town full of ordinary Portuguese going about their daily lives.” That sounded nice.

    Today is Friday so the market was not in full force but we were able to visit it and have a coffee and a piece of Dutch apple pie with whipping cream in a tiny cafe.

    Then on to Lagos. Another 50 minutes.

    Our google maps app took us right to our hotel. The app has been great as many of the streets here are one way, narrow and the street names often are nowhere to be seen.

    Our hotel, Lagos Uptown BnB, is in a good location just outside the old city walls. Everywhere we would want to go in town is no farther than a 10 - 15 minute walk. On the top of the building there is a wonderful common room and outside terrace that overlooks the old town and the ocean. It is heated in the evenings with a pellet stove. Really cozy.

    Our friend Donna from Elora was due to arrive by train from Lisbon at 9 p.m. we had arranged to pick her up but she arrived on an earlier train and took a taxi to our hotel. We were pleasantly surprised to see her. What fun! We walked to a local pizzeria, ate a delicious French pizza and drank sangria, while getting caught up on trip details.

    Then off to bed after making a few plans for the next day.
    Read more