Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    A Pinata for a Crocodile?

    January 13, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Today is Thursday, the organic market day in Troncones. We loved the samosas that we bought there last week so we thought that we could get more this week, but they were all sold out. We got their tasty lentil soup instead.

    We discovered a tiny stand where a lady was selling paleo blueberry granola. She gave us a sample and it was delicious! Walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut without sugar, coconut oil, agave, salt, and dehydrated blueberries. We bought some as we can also get natural yogurt at a nearby fruit and vegetable store called Zamora. Breakfast treats.

    We had heard that there was a bridge at the edge of town over a river where crocodiles lived. We drove to the bridge and saw a crocodile sign so got out and checked out the river below. We could only see one big guy, sunning on the bank.

    A truck pulled up behind us and two Mexican men came out of it with a big bag, calling, “Papillon, Papillon”. Apparently they were called the Big One. Funny name for a huge crocodile!
    Anyways, they said that they had a piñata for Papillon. Okay… one man pulled out a big filleted mahi-mahi fish out of the bag, tied a rope around the existing tail and dangled the skeleton over the bridge. They jiggled the fish like a piñata while continuing to call Papillon. The monster never came but a smaller croc appeared and checked it out without snapping at it.

    Crocodiles like living in this river because of all the overhanging branches that lizards like to sun on. When lizards get too big and heavy, they often fall or the branches break and down they go into the river. An easy meal for a hungry croc!

    We figured that we would come back to Troncones another day to see if we can spot the Big One. Maybe we could dangle a carrot piñata for him?
    Read more